Jim Thorpe Classic Run VIII - 9/21/13 (rain date 9/28/13)

Started by Jerseygirl, July 14, 2013, 08:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerseygirl

Mark your calendars. The Jim Thorpe Classic Run is back for its eighth year! The run is open to any car, 25 years or older. NO EXCEPTIONS!

The date: Saturday, September 21, 2013 (rain date: September 28, 2013) - Yes, I know the rain date conflicts with the Volvo open house, but it's nearly impossible to find two weekends in September that don't have a conflict with anything else.

Deadline to register or request refund: September 16, 2013

The meeting place: The Cracker Barrel (21 Industrial Drive in Hamburg, PA - near the intersection of I-78 and Rt. 61)
Departure time: 10:00am (driver's meeting at 9:55am Please arrive by at least 9:45)

Join us for a scenic cruise to the quaint town of Jim Thorpe, PA. We'll enjoy a drive along some back roads in Berks, Schuylkill, and Carbon counties in Pennsylvania. Along the way, we'll have a couple stops for lunch, and a scenic overlook of Jim Thorpe before we roll into town for the climax of the drive. Lunch will be a BBQ at the farm my parents own along the route. It's a great place to stretch our legs and get some group shots of the cars. Lunch will be $7 per person and will include your choice of hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled chicken, chips, soda, water, and some of the best ice cream you've ever had for dessert!

For pictures from previous year's runs and additional Jim Thorpe:  http://njbaglady.com/jtcr.htm.

Registration forms can be downloaded here:  http://njbaglady.com/JTCR8_Flyer.pdf. All registration forms must be received by September 16, 2013. Money is also refundable until September 16, 2013. After that time, I will have already begun spending that money to buy supplies.

If you've never been to Jim Thorpe, you are in for a treat. It is a small town originally built up around the coal industry, and famous for it's gravity railroad that, at one time (way back when), made it the second largest tourist destination in the country, behind Niagara Falls! After a decline, the town has been reborn once again as a tourist destination, offering quaint shops, restaurants, and B&B's. Tour the Packer Mansion - the house that inspired the haunted house in Disney World. Or make a weekend of it and enjoy some of the biking or whitewater rafting that draw thousands to the town each year. Like trains? Take one of the scenic train rides that leave from town at numerous times during the day.

What you need to bring:
1. Two way radio - to receive instructions/information or ask for help if your car decides to be tempermental!
2. Full tank of gas (you can top off near the starting point)
3. $5 for parking in Jim Thorpe. Sometimes they charge, sometimes they don't, but be prepared.
4. Spare parts, oil, coolant, whatever other fluids may leak out of your car, tools, a sense of humor, and some patience. Hopefully nobody will have any problems but it helps to be prepared.

Long distance travellers:
For those who'd like to drive out the night before, there is a hotel just up the road from the Cracker Barrel:

Microtel Inn & Suites
(610) 562-4234
50 Industrial Dr
Hamburg, PA 19526

I suggest making reservations at least a couple weeks in advance. The Microtel is the ONLY hotel in the area and it fills up with people looking to head across the highway to Cabelas.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or post in this thread. Hope to see you in September!

Confirmed so far:
1. Jerseygirl ('73 Volvo 1800ES)
2. Don R. ('73 Spitfire)
3. Terry K. ('64 Corvette)
4. Tom H. ('69 Jaguar)
5. Art E. ('74 MGB)
6. Ken B. ('66 Austin Healey)
7. Rennie T. ('85 Mustang)
8. Frank D. (Spitfire)

PaulGraz

Count me in.

My buddy with the 911 in MD just told me he's taking the car off the road for a 2 year resto.  He's doing it all himself and he's got a little rust to deal with...
~Paul
GSVSA Chapter Coordinator

"Remember amateurs built the ark - professionals built the Titanic..."

Ian F

Quote from: PaulGraz on July 16, 2013, 12:53:31 PM
a 2 year resto.  He's doing it all himself and he's got a little rust to deal with...

Famous last words...
Lucas engineers don't die... they cross the Channel to work for Bosch....

PaulGraz

Dave is very structured and organized - if he says 2 years, it'll be done in 2 years.  He's probably been researching everything he needs for the last 10.

That doesn't mean you'll ever see him at this event tho...
~Paul

Jerseygirl

Well, I was thinking for a while I might have to cancel this run this year, but within the past week I finally got some registrations.  Gonna be a small group this year.  Not sure what happened.  The Opel guys who were so enthusiastic last year never got around to signing up. 

I'm keeping my eye on the weather.  Accuweather and Allen Kasper are saying dry for Saturday.  The Weather Channel and Weatherbug are calling for a rain.  Figures.

PaulGraz

I sent mine in late - as usual - sorry 

The weather guys on WABC-ch7 were saying maybe rain Saturday night (in NYC).  {shrug}  No point worrying about it until at least Friday when they have more of a clue...

I may have to duck out early anyhow, like as soon as we pull into JT.  Again, have to see how things fall into place this week.
~Paul

Jerseygirl

I know this means you guys won't make it now, but I'm going to postpone the run until next weekend.  The sites that had been saying dry weather for tomorrow are now calling for showers/thunderstorms either all day or in the afternoon.  It seems the forecast is deteriorating instead of improving so I'm going to hope for better weather next week.

Sorry!

PaulGraz

~Paul

gmitchels

Oops, just got home and started loading Yoda for JTR tomorrow, but wondering about the weather decided to check email! Will have to try for next year as next week is Rockleigh. Hopefully, we'll catch up at Peddler's Village. 
......George.......