News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

2015 VSA East Coast Meet: Newport, RI, May 15-17

Started by PaulGraz, February 16, 2015, 10:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulGraz

The 2015 East Coast Meet has been announced, and it's looks good:  Newport RI, May 15-17 in conjunction with Volvo Ocean Race.

Some details are up on the VSA page, in the calendar section: http://vsa.org/cal.html

From that page: 
QuoteRoom reservations can be done now at both the Hampton Inn (401-848-6555) and the Quality Inn (401-846-7600) in Middletown, RI. Please be sure to CALL the Hotels and mention Volvo Sports America in order to receive the special room rates. These special rates are only available by making your reservations over the phone.

Yes, this will conflict with Carlisle.  However, I look at it this way: Carlisle will be there next year, this is a one time event.  At this point in time I'm planning to go to Newport, just not sure which car to take.  Would be nice to get the ES in shape for this trip...
~Paul
GSVSA Chapter Coordinator

"Remember amateurs built the ark - professionals built the Titanic..."

Ian F

I have a mtn bike team event the same weekend, so I wasn't planning to go to Carlisle this year either.

It is unfortunate as I fear in falling on the same date as Carlisle will hurt attendance. Many folks who go to Carlisle have already made their room reservations for that weekend.
Lucas engineers don't die... they cross the Channel to work for Bosch....

gmitchels

I felt the same way regarding Carlisle being there next year and already booked the Hampton that weekend. Maybe there'll be better weather up there than the usual Carlisle May rain.  :)
......George.......

PaulGraz

Remember, VSA doesn't control the Volvo Ocean Race - so in order to time the events together, conflicting with Carlisle was inevitable.

Also, VSA had zero official presence at Carlisle last year.  The bulk of the Volvo people at Carlisle are the 20-somethings now, and they just dont join clubs like VSA or VCOA.

George, I still need to call to make my reservations.  How bad are the hotel prices?  Will you drive the 1800 up?
~Paul

gmitchels

The Hampton is $269+tax per night over the phone. I said with the Volvo group.....don't know what the regular $ would be if not with VSA. I didn't check the Quality Inn as I assumed a similar rate. Not sure which car yet. V is not exactly thrilled with a 4-5 hour ride in the 1800. Mechanically, it's a go, but meteorologically speaking, no-go. Speaking of mechanical, we took the XC70 to the Milwaukee Meet last August. 2 days (Thurs/Friday) and 900 miles w/o a hitch. Come Saturday morning (day of show), the battery was as dead as a door nail. No warning or symptoms of weakness whatsoever in exactly (to the month) 5 years of ownership! First time being stranded in 48 years (that includes the first 10 years with my daily driver MGB). But AAA to the rescue with a new battery and we made it to the park in time for lunch! Met up with John Coutant there with his 1800. He, the Volvo and the TR3 are doing well in Cincinnati.   
......George.......

PaulGraz

Quote from: gmitchels on February 17, 2015, 01:40:02 AM
The Hampton is $269+tax per night over the phone. I said with the Volvo group.....don't know what the regular $ would be if not with VSA. I didn't check the Quality Inn as I assumed a similar rate.

OUCH!  Now I'm not so sure about my plans.  I could put that $500+ into the car instead...

You can't really compare Hampton's rate, because their web page shows no available rooms that weekend - obviously the "charge through the nose when the weather is nice" plan is in full effect here.  Quality Inn's AAA rate would be around $100/night cheaper - in theory VSA's rate would be better. maybe I'll call there today...
~Paul

jecoutant

I plan on attending the meet and also just made reservations at the Hampton Inn.  I probably would not have attended but my son Mike and his wife live in Mystic, CT about 50 miles away so it is a great excuse to spend some time with them also as I don't get to see them all that much.  Price of the hotel is high and so I may cancel Friday nights reservation and drive over and back on Friday, then drive directly to the park on Sat. morning.  Will stay Sat. night after the banquet for sure.

Plan on driving the 1800 out to the meet.  Always an adventure but that is half the fun.  I decided to go to the meet in Milwaukee last year at the last minute so drove up in one day using all interstate.  No problems except it was hot when stuck in Chicago traffic.

I have been to the park where the concours will be held before in 2010 with my son.  We whet over to Newport for the day to play tourist.  The park was full of huge kites taking advantage of the ocean breeze. 
John

'70 1800E