News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

ES Stripping Party - 11/22

Started by Ian F, November 03, 2008, 10:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian F

I haven't set a date yet, but I'm planning to start on the parting process of my ES soon... hopefully to be completed by December... since I REALLY need to get Goblin (my Spit 6) and Dougal (our MINI Cooper 'vert) in my garage for the winter... so...  With that in mind, my rusty, non-running ES needs to get out of my garage ASAP.   In an effort to make it easier to stuff into my back yard, I want to get the shell as light as possible.

Step 1.  Gut interior.  This I should be able to do myself.

Step 2.  Strip off exterior bits... and brakes (calipers - rotors are too scored to be worth bothering with).

Step 3.  Pull the engine and tranny.  

Yes... will be a sad day... but with luck, many of the parts should find a new home in other 1800's and thus will live on.  Pretty much all of the switches and most of the EFI parts will be saved as spares for Robyn's car.  I know for certain the headlight relay will be swapped and possibly the ignition switch, which started acting up in Robyn's car recently.

Stay tuned...  8)

Edit: Tentative date: Sat, Nov. 22.
Lucas engineers don't die... they cross the Channel to work for Bosch....

PaulGraz

Count me in - just let us know the date...
~Paul
GSVSA Chapter Coordinator

"Remember amateurs built the ark - professionals built the Titanic..."

Ian F

Tentative date added: Saturday, November 22.

PaulGraz

Great - by then our remodel project will be done and it'll be easier to get away - I'll be there...
~Paul

Ian F

Plugging away... over the w/e I managed to get started... and started removing some exterior bits.  The marker lights mainly...  driver's side window trim.  Started working on the passenget side trim until I remembered the passenger door doesn't open from the outside...  :oops:   ...then got sidetracked with house work as well as moving some stuff out of the garage...  :(

With any luck, I'll be able to do something on the car each night this week.

jecoutant

Sorry I can not make it.  Nothing better as a stress reliever than taking stuff off knowing you don't have to put it back!   :)
John

'70 1800E

PaulGraz

Giving this a bump - since it's TOMORROW!
~Paul

gmitchels

Was planning on coming, but well water pump crapped out (at office location) and to be replaced tomorrow 9am! If not too late, I'll try to come over and lend a (gloved) hand in the afternoon, just need directions.
......George.......

Ian F

Quote from: "PaulGraz"Giving this a bump - since it's TOMORROW!

Err... I haven't managed to get as much done on the car as I'd like... anyone opposed to Sunday?  Would give me all of Sat to get the car (and garage) ready...  :oops:

Ian F

Quote from: "gmitchels"just need directions.

I-95 South to Rt 413 (Bristol) exit.

Turn left onto Rt 413 (N).

At second light, turn left (Ford Rd)

First light turn left. (Newportville Rd)

Follow Newportville for a little over a mile.  After a sharp, 90 degree curve, look for Charles Ave on the right after about 500 feet. Turn Right.

At 3rd stop sign, turn left onto Hillcrest Ave.  My house is the 3rd one on the right .  Tan cape with brown trim and sky-light.  Look for a green Spitfire in the driveway.

PaulGraz

If moving to Sunday - I wont be there until the afternoon sometime...
~Paul

gmitchels

Sunday would be much better, and could come down as early as you wanted. Let me know.
......George.......

Ian F

Paul - afternoon would be fine.

George - that wold be great!  Say... around noon?

thanks!  :D

gmitchels

I'll be there by noon on Sunday.
......George.......

PaulGraz

Cya Sunday - what should we bring?  Any tools?
~Paul