Jim Thorpe CLASSIC Run II - 09.15.07 (rain date: 09.22.07)

Started by Jerseygirl, January 24, 2007, 11:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulGraz

Looks like our best shot at getting this done is this Saturday...

Have you considered possibly delaying the start by an hour?  Maybe we could miss the rain altogther?
~Paul
GSVSA Chapter Coordinator

"Remember amateurs built the ark - professionals built the Titanic..."

Jerseygirl

That's a great idea but it will reduce the amount of time everyone has to spend in Jim Thorpe at the end of the run.  I know there was some disappointment last year because the run ran longer than expected AND we couldn't park in town.  

But I definitely agree that this Saturday looks far more promising than next Saturday.

If everyone is willing to sacrifice some time in Jim Thorpe at the end of the run, we could push the start back by an hour, maybe an hour and a half.  I don't really want to push back much further or we'll get to Jim Thorpe when many of the little shops and other sights are closing for the day.

It still might meaning driving through some sprinkles on your way out to the starting point, but the run itself should be beautiful.  From what I'm hearing, the rain they are calling for just a chance of showers, not heavy rain.

Thoughts?

PaulGraz

An hour delay or no delay - but don't go longer than that.  I agree, we don't want to end too late.

I'll go along with whatever the consensus is.  

Here's my status on trying to get some usable tires on the E for this weekend:

My existing tires are too old, as most of you know one blew (inner sidewal cracked).  I don't want to buy more skinny tires for those original E rims because I'm going to put wider after market rims on it.

My backup plan was to borrow the wheels/tires from the ES - guess what, it turns out they are old and starting to dry rot too.  We got the car in 03, it looks like the tires are from 01, at best.  All tires sold in the US after 2000 are supposed to have a standard DOT date code - the ES tires didn't have that.  No great loss, they were some cheap Korean tires anyhow.

SO, plan C is that I'm taking the 5-spoke rims from the ES (6.5" wide), and mounting the tires that I got from Robyn (who got them from IDA along with the engine and trans).  So my car should look and handle a little differently.  They're mounting those tires today...

The ES is up on jack stands - I'll get brand new rubber on the 240 turbo rims we have for her in time for Peddlers Village...
~Paul

Jerseygirl

Good thing you've got Nancy's "parts car" as a back-up.  ;)

PaulGraz

Quote from: "Jerseygirl"Good thing you've got Nancy's "parts car" as a back-up.  ;)

Y'know, comments like that aren't helping!

You should have seen her face when I suggested that maybe I use the 240 turbo rims for this weekend!  Yikes!

But this way she ultimately ends up with the nice new shiny rims and nice new shiny tires...
~Paul

Jerseygirl

Gee, where's Scott with all this talk about shiny things?  :lol:

So what aftermarket wheels are you thinking of for the E?  Panasports?

PaulGraz

Probably Superlite's.  Another Minilite knock off, like the Panasport's.  About $25-30 per rim cheaper tho...

http://www.packracingproducts.com/acatalog/P1800_70-_.html
~Paul

Jerseygirl

PaulGraz

Quote from: "Jerseygirl"Cool.  That's what I've got on the Spitfire.   8)

Didn't know that - I guess since you have the center caps with the Triumph logo, instead of the Superlite logo...

I wonder if I can get some kind of Volvo logo on mine...   Hmmmm....
~Paul

Jerseygirl

I got mine new on Ebay and when the auction ended, the guy asked me what kind of car I had and included the Triumph logo center caps with the wheels.  Can't remember the seller's name for the life of me though.  :(

Ian F

OK, decision made...

The run is ON for Saturday, but we will be starting one hour later than originally planned.

Please be at the Cracker Barrel in Hamburg, PA and ready to go for 11am.

I will also be sending out a group email tonight to everyone who is signed up, for those who don't get on the forums very often.
Lucas engineers don't die... they cross the Channel to work for Bosch....

Anthony D'Agostino

Robyn,

Just got on line here, got your update on leaving a hour later, thanxs

Tony D

Anthony D'Agostino

Ian & Robyn,

Hopefully we can still be there tommorow, Mary has been under the weather since Tuesday. she is a trooper and will do her best to attend, I'm not sure if I want to go solo!! We shall see! the 1 hour later may help me with this as we can then leave a little later.

Thanxs,

Tony & Mary D

PaulGraz

Tony - sorry to hear Mary's not feeling well.  Hopefully she feels better by morning.

Nancy wanted to sit this one out, so I recruited an old college buddy to come along.  But I did last year's run solo, no big deal...
~Paul

jecoutant

Just back from 2 weeks in the south of France 2 hours ago so it looks like we are on.  Should have time to get unpacked and the 1800 fueled up and checked out.  I am still on Europe time so no problem getting up early.  See everyone there.
John

'70 1800E